We all know that Diabetes is one of the chronic condition and millions of people worldwide are suffering from it .It is associated with abnormally high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. But due to proper awareness and sharing the early stage symptoms with people , we can prevent it at a very early stage .Otherwise if remained un-traced, it leads to serious heath issues .Today , we are going to share some of the facts and figures related to diabetes .In addition , we will share which all organisations helps in spreading awareness and what was the theme of previous years world diabetes day activities.
World Diabetes Day 2018
The primary goal of this day is to let people know about the initial stages of diabetes , their symptom and what all preventive steps they should take .It is held annually on 14 November each year. There are number of national and international organisations that are spreading awareness about diabetes .One of the way to create awareness is by observing a day in a year to make people aware about certain and figures about diabetes and letting them know how to diagnose it at an early stage .With this purpose, a day called World Diabetes Day , is observed and is world’s largest diabetes awareness campaign .The first it was observed was in 1991 by International Diabetes Federation and the World Health Organization in order to reduce the escalating health threat posed by diabetes. It became an official United Nations Day in the year 2006 and now every year , we observe 14 November as world diabetes day on the birthday of Sir Frederick Banting( medical scientist who co-discovered insulin ) .
World Diabetes Day Logo Images | world diabetes day logo
Every year , IDF focuses on themes related to diabetes and most of the time it is related prevention of various types of diabetes that are spreading worldwide at a very fast pace .It includes Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.We will discuss in detail about these types in our next post .Campaign of WDD is represented by a blue circle logo and it was adopted in the year 2007 after the passage of the UN Resolution on diabetes. This logo signifies the unity of the global diabetes community in response to the diabetes epidemic.
- Total number of people with diabetes is expected to rise up to 522 million by the year 2030 .
- 3 out of 4 people suffering from diabetes live in low and middle income countries .
- 1 in 2 people with diabetes ( 212 million ) remain undiagnosed .
- Diabetes is a leading cause of heart disease , kidney failure , stroke , blindness and lower limb amputation .
- 80% of cases of type 2 diabetes is preventable through the adoption of a healthy lifestyle .
- Less than 1 in 2 people with diabetes and 1 in 4 family members of people with diabetes have access to diabetes education programmes .
Above are some of the quick facts about diabetes .Now we are going to share some of the themes related to this day .Every year ,WDD set some goals to prevent diabetes and concentrate on certain facts and related to these facts , they set annual themes .Awareness Campaigns on World Diabetes Day has over 1 billion people connected from more than 160 countries. Through these campaigns, WDD draws attention to issues of paramount importance to the diabetes world .
Facts about Diabetes
Objectives of World Diabetes Day campaign :
- Promote International Diabetes Federation ( IDF ) advocacy efforts throughout the year.
- Promoting importance of taking coordinated to confront diabetes as a critical global health issue.
Themes for World Diabetes Day
- World Diabetes Day 2018 – 2019 : Family and Diabetes.
Here is the list of previous year themes for this day . These themes focused on different factors that influence the risk of diabetes
and how to prevent it .
- World Diabetes Day theme 2013: Protect our Future: Diabetes Education and Prevention.
- World Diabetes Day theme 2014: Go Blue for Breakfast.
- World Diabetes Day theme 2015: Healthy Eating.
- World Diabetes Day theme 2016: Eyes on Diabetes.
- World Diabetes Day theme 2017: Women and diabetes – our right to a healthy future.